Sunday, August 21, 2011

Facial hair to stay

Last year when I was out, I started noticing more men sporting facial hair. Initially I chalked the scruff up to just one more 80s style coming back into fashion and was curious if it would actually "take". Fast forward to the summer of 2011 and the trend has continued to gain in popularity, and it is now blatantly obvious that the clean shaven (while never really out of favor) definitely is not the "in-look"...

However, all facial hair is not equal (or so it seems to me). While I would never say that Tom Selleck's, Magnum P.I., man-stache (because it was so much more than just your run of the mill mustache) is not cool, it is definitely nowhere near as popular as scruff like I've shown in the headline picture or beards and goatees.

If you are like me, you only appreciate those sporting this trendy look, which more and more of Hollywood also seems to be embracing. My stubble looks ridiculous, and I think it may be biologically impossible for me to grow anything resembling a beard, goatee, stache. For those contemplating growing facial hair or new to sporting this look, I wanted to share a quick grooming article from earlier this year in Men's Health, Snip Tips.

For all you who like this trend, I've included a few more photos.



6 comments:

Tony (LT) said...

As you know, I have facial hair. And I look quite goofy without it. I don't know if I have a preference on others. I think it depends on the guy. The Attorney is ultra clean-cut. And I think that works best on him. But if I can catch him late in the day he sometimes has enough scruff on his chins to rub against my neck or belly. Both of which really work for me.

Wonder Man said...

I can't do it either

Anonymous said...

Oh, there is a lot to be said for a scruffy face...and a beard rubbing against your skin...it might be an acquired fetish...I am not sure but I know I am attracted to the facial hair.

saludos,
raulito

Liam said...

I haven't been to a gay bar or club in a while, so my week in PT was the first time in six months when I've been able to see the full gamut of gay guys and what's in style among them these days. I was really surprised by the dozens of handle-bar mustaches I saw. Maybe I need to get out more. As for me, I am clean-cut in my work world, so a week at the beach is my time to not shave, so I was sporting some scruff.

George (the3rdone) said...

Putting the trend through the George filter, it seems to me that Iit's an attempt to reassert masculinity & individuality in a post-metrosexual, homogenous age.
For my own part, I'm rarely clean-shaven & I prefer a guy with a little scruff, especially when he's suited up for the office. Something about that juxtaposition just works.

WranglerMan said...

I find a five o'clock shadow or a day's growth incredibly sexy on a guy. I'm also into bearded, physically fit guys! Fantasies involving me as a pirate capturing the grizzled sea captain are a staple of my imagination!

OMG! Did I just write that?