Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

I have a soft spot for poetry. Its not a form of prose often recited, and much of it often goes over my head, but when I connect with a particular poem or on the rare occassion I write a poem it usually resonates in a way that other literature does not. Here is a beautiful poem written by one of my favorite poets, Robert Frost.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening was first published in 1923. Although there are no woods to speak of in my neighborhood, Boston received its first snowfall this week - in fact there are flurries falling as I type this.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening


I think we can all identify with Frost's ending "And miles to go before I sleep." He meant it quite literally in his poem, but "miles" could just as easily be a euphemism for all the errands and resposibilities we have. I hope that if you do indeed have miles to go that you take time to stop as the gentleman in the poem did to pause, reflect and enjoy the moment.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely :). I feel chilly just reading it!

A Lewis said...

Ummm....it just warmed my insides reading it! Thinking of you during this holiday season.

Stan in NH said...

Bothersome poem. That's always been one of my favorites. I don't know much about poetry or follow a lot of writers. But I do remember this poem from school and think about it often when it is snowing, or I see snow on the trees.
Riding in the car when it is snowing reminds me of the Kiss song "Beth". No relation to the poem, but I thought I'd share.

Have a great holiday season! :)

Kyle Leach said...

I am so envious you have snow down their. Have a great holiday!

BosGuy said...

Actually today it was 40degrees and sunny (albeit quite blustery at times) so the dusting we received last night is all but gone, which is a good thing because it makes walking along the bricked sidewalks a lot less trecherous.