Friday, December 31, 2010

Friday fitness update

I skipped my update last Friday so I'm condensing the past two weeks into this post. The purpose of posting this is two-fold: first, it helps me track my progress, and second, knowing I will post this shames me into going to the gym.

Despite hitting my interim cardio goal, I haven't been working out the way I would like. I'm cutting myself slack because of the holidays, but I intend to continue my running and pushing my trainer Stu to help me build more muscle in 2011.

Friday – December 31st I worked out with my trainer, Stu. We focused on chest and triceps and all told, it was a solid work out. I was able to bench 215lbs and fly 45lbs as part of the routine.Thursday – December 30th Curious to see if my run earlier was a fluke, I stepped onto the treadmill and psyched myself up for the run. I shaved another 25 seconds off my run finishing in 0:28:15 with an average speed of 6.4. My initial goal was always a first step to some more aggressive cardio milestones so I’ll continue to try and trim a bit more time before I increase my distance. I am pleased, but wary of suffering a setback. Tuesday – December 28th In lieu of stretching and doing a modified abdominal workout first, I opted to just focus on the run. Not sure what got into me but I had my best run, finishing the 3 miles in 0:28:40. I’m not sure who was more surprised - me, myself or I. Now that I’ve achieved my short-term goal of running 3 miles in under 30 minutes, I want to see if I can sustain this.

Christmas Week:
There's no denying I was a slacker this week only getting to the gym twice. I wish I had this Santa helper closer to keep me motivated. Thursday – December 23rd I spent about 15-20minutes doing abs then I hopped on the treadmill for my first run in more than a week. I was making good time but had to stop 20 minutes (2mi.) when nature called; I perceived this as a sign of divine intervention to conclude my workout and head home.

Wednesday – December 22nd I just barely managed to get in for my 11am session with my trainer – I woke up at 10:30 (oops). Once there Stu worked me into a state focusing on my back and chest. It was a solid work out that had me gasping for breath, but I’m not sure I’ll be sore like I was last week – none of the weight was beyond my ability. Today’s workout was all about endurance. Let’s see if I can take that theme and carry it through the rest of the week.

4 comments:

DanNation said...

You look great in these photos!

BosGuy said...

Hah! I wish those were me. Thanks for the compliment all the same. I'll take'm as and when I get them.

WranglerMan said...

Great progress. Sustain the time for the run for a week, then add a 1/4 mile!

Happy and Healthy New Year!

A Lewis said...

Here's to a HEALTHY new year...no matter the specifics of the workout.