Thursday, December 16, 2010

Book suggestions pahleeze

In just a few days I'll be taking an extended break from work. I plan on visiting my local library or possibly Calamus Bookstore in Boston's Leather District to nab a few gay themed novels, and I'm curious if you have any to suggest.

To be fair, I'll list a few novels that I've enjoyed to both give you an idea of what I like and to share in case you too are looking for something to read.

Heyday by Michael Butler - takes place during prohibition in NYC and is fraught with funny scenerios
Call me by your name by Andre Aciman - is about a teenager's first love and is beautifully written
How I paid for college by Marc Acito - an hilarious story that tracks the adventures of a NJ H.S. senior
Where the boys are by William Mann - Actually I've enjoyed all his books
My blue heaven by Joe Keenan - I've enjoyed this funny series as well

The books listed above are not the only gay fiction I've read, but it is meant to serve as a sort of guide or insight into the books I've enjoyed. I also like and have read a number of books from local authors including Johnny Diaz, Michael Thomas Ford, and J.G. Hayes to mention a few. I should say that my interest in authors extends beyond my hometown's city limits so please share your suggestions. I'm quite open and looking forward to hearing from you.

12 comments:

DanNation said...

I am enjoying Mary Anne in Autumn, the new Tales of the City book. Of course if you haven't read Michael Tolliver lives, that may be worth reading first.

Alan Bennett Ilagan said...

If you're looking for a sumptuous over-the-top gay romance, check out 'The God in Flight' by Laura Argiri - not sure if it's still in print, but it was one of my favorites when I was just coming out.

Anonymous said...

I concur with DanNation about Mary Anne in Autumn. I'm reading it now. I also read Wendell Potter's "Deadly Spin". Quite an eye opener, if only that it confirms what I've long suspected about corporate America.

Thomas (Tom) Rimington said...

The Ally Blue "Bay City Paranormal" series are great light reads... I also enjoyed "First Person Plural" by Andrew W. M. Beierle, a story of conjoined twins one gay, and one not...

Enjoy whatever you choose to read, I always do!

Mike said...

You know that I'd LOVE to give you a book recommendation...but that would mean that I've read one. Now if you're interested in magazines, you've come to the right place! Enjoy your break from work!

VpO said...

I'm glad you also support our local gay bookstore! I love that place! Don't care if I pay a few $$ more.

robertga99 said...

See if you can find "America's Boy" by Wade Rouse. It's an excellent book about a boy growing up gay.

Johnny Diaz said...

Thank you Rob for the shout out.
For some other suggestions: anything by Robin Reardon (we have the same publisher and she's a fellow Bostonian.) I am currently reading her book "Question of Manhood." Her books are written in the voice of gay male teenagers struggling with homosexuality. Deep reads.

Peter said...

Any book by John Simpson, you can find them at Dreamspinner Press, they have next to e-books also print versions.

Thomas said...

We Disappear by Scott Heim
Closer to the Knives by David Wojnarowicz
Gifts of the Body by Rebecca Brown
You Are Not the One by Vestal McIntyre
Mothers and Sons by Colm Toibin


And I LOVE CALUMUS BOOKS. Enjoy the reading! I'd love to hear more about the books you've read, and which ones you'd recommend.

x said...

I hope you enjoy your time off -- I'll be takin two weeks as well and plan on catching up on a ton of long over due reading. Here are some non-gay novels that I would highly recommend:

Tom Franklin: Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

Antonya Nelson: Bound

Bruce Machart: The Wake of Forgiveness

Michael Cunningham: By Nightfall

Greg said...

Almost Like Being in Love by Steve Kluger, the Gay Haunt by Victor J. Banis, Pulp Friction by Michael Bronski (non-fiction about the era of gay male pulp novels), and any of Rick Copp's Actor's Guides (fun gay mysteries).