Friday, December 17, 2010

Friday fitness update

Despite my best intentions to start running again on Saturday 12/11, I deferred for some fun in BackBay to watch and mingle with all the runners in the annual Boston Santa Speedo Run. If you missed it and are curious, you can watch my video here.

The week started very promising with three separate gym visits by Wednesday, but that's where my focus and discipline left me. My plans are to compensate by getting myself to the gym over the weekend.

Wednesday – December 15th I really did not want to go to the gym today. Boston is absolutely freezing with temps hovering in the high teens. However, if I did not go, I’d have to explain why to my trainer, Stu, so I packed my gym bag and went to the gym grumbling. Today’s workout was all about shoulders and triceps (two muscles I normally loathe to exercise because they tire so quickly). However, today’s workout was killer – Stu had his “A” game getting me to do heavier weights and shortening breaks between reps. I was still a bit tender in the biceps and lower back from Monday’s routine so God only knows what I should expect tomorrow. One thing is for certain - I’ll sleep like a baby tonight.Monday – December 13th Today I had my “date” with my trainer and we focused on back and biceps. We spent about 2/3rds of the workout on back and the final bit on my arms. He had me doing all sorts of whack routines so it’s hard to document the routines but I did do 80lb single arm rows. The bicep portion of the workout was a bit more frustrating – granted I was tired by the time we went to do preacher curls (as Stu calls ’em) but I was not pleased with how I struggled curling 30 and 35lb weights. I guess it gives me something to work on next time. Sunday – December 12th With the exception of my abbreviated workout with my trainer on Friday, I had not lifted a finger since my run on Monday, December 6th. I started with abdominal exercises but after about 15 minutes, my lower abs were screaming so I opted to start my cardio. I’m noting the issue here so I continue to do more abdominal work – I’ve a fairly strong core and I don’t want to lose that. Today’s run was no less ugly than the previous two in P.R., but despite gasping for air with my heart pounding 180+ beats per minute (according to the treadmill), I finished my 3 mile run in 0:31:00 – slightly faster than my previous run. I’m closing in on my goal.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We are going to continue in keeping up with the progress you've made thus far! Glad I can provide the help as well!

SteveA said...

Going to the gym can be a pain sometimes - but think of the benefits!

Alan Bennett Ilagan said...

Keep up the good work - I still maintain that this is the toughest time of the year to stay on any regular fitness routine, so good for you for doing this much. (It is decidedly much more than I've done...)

WranglerMan said...

One of the benefits of hitting the gym is getting in shape to look great in a speedo! ;-)

Joey said...

I need to do some better workouts ASAP. This post has motivated me!