Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Remembering Teddy Kennedy

Senator Edward Kennedy (1932 - 2009)


One year ago today Ted Kennedy passed away. His passing was not a surprise as he'd been ill for quite some time, but I was still saddened. Born into priviledge he could have easily turned his back on the world and lived a life of leisure pursuing his love of sailing and residing on his family compound in Hyannisport Cape Cod.

Kennedy was the bane of conservatives, the champion of the disenfranchised; in short he was the lion of the Senate, and I miss his leadership and ability to work across the aisle with others. I shudder to think where protections for gays, lesbians and transgendered would be without the legacy and lobbying efforts of Kennedy. I owe him a debt of thanks so I wanted to pause, reflect and remember Senator Kennedy on the one year anniversary of his passing. I hope you will too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I can't believe it's been a year already. Seems like it was just yesterday. Yes, I was saddened too when he passed. It was certainly an end of an era. I have a lot of respect for Senator Kennedy.

If only more people with 'priviledge' would spend more of their time championing the cause of the less fortunate in society, the world would be a better place for us all.

R.J. said...

I can't believe it's been a full year since his passing either. I miss him, especially when both parties can't come to an agreement on something. He always rallied the Democrats to do what was best for this country and we're still waiting for someone else (Alan Grayson?) to take the lead.

raulito said...

I miss the man...he was larger than life itself as were his two brothers. That family had a special gift of providing our country great men.
by the way, I do like your blog and intend to follow it. I thank you for the comment on mine...I wish had more.
saludos,
raulito

Stan in NH said...

Good post and a great idea. I can't believe it has been an entire year, either. Seems like just a little while ago. He did do a tremendous amount of work to promote social and cultural equality. If only he'd lived, I think President Obama might have a little more courage than he seems to project now and be a little more forceful in moving our country towards the light, instead of allowing conservatives to move it towards the dark. It is a terrible shame when good men go. They leave an awful hole.
He is missed and will continue to be for years to come...just like his brothers.
Thanks for taking pause and allowing us to remember Senator Kennedy with our reflections.