Monday, November 22, 2010

Back to the gym

I'll be the first to admit that I've become lazy about getting myself to the gym on days I'm not seeing my trainer, Stu. Part of the problem stems from the fact that getting meningitis once in September and then again in October really threw me out of my routine and I've been slow to get back to working out as much / often as I should. The other part of the equation is seasonal - I simply work out harder and more often in the spring and summer months.

Today's workout with Stu was great, but it was disapointing to see how much I struggled through sets I could do easily this summer. The two bouts of meningitis not only took me away from the gym, but when I've returned it has been slow going to get back into the swing of things and lately we've been doing full-body exercises; shying away from lifting.

I want to get serious about getting back into shape and want to focus on this now - not in January after I've packed on weight from the holidays. We'll see how good I am at keeping my word, but I'd really like to get to the gym 1-2 days a week to run for 30-45 minutes. Cardio has always helped me slim down and it helps me with my weight training which can often leave me gasping for breathe after a tough set.

Like I said, "We'll see"... I'll write more about this in the weeks that follow to try and keep this on my radar and not slack-off.

8 comments:

A Lewis said...

I think that many, most?, of us can 100% relate with your struggle. I've only recently started back to yoga at the gym. I'll add back in the rest of the gym routine sometime. One day at a time.

A Lewis said...

By the way, are these your abs in the pics? If so, screw the gym.

SteveA said...

Getting back to the gym is the best start! You'll get there!

BosGuy said...

Ah... I wish those were my abs, but sadly it is meant to operate as visual stimulation to keep me motivated.

Alan Bennett Ilagan said...

If you find that inspiration, send some my way. Maybe we need an online support community for choosing lifting over lounging.

Gay Guy said...

You keep me honest, I'll keep you honest.

The fall has been a whirlwind, so the gym got lost in the sauce. But, here's for early New Year's resolutions.

2 weight sessions a week with as much cardio as possible laced in.

WranglerMan said...

I'm with you, my friend! I injured my foot in early October and my running is way off! I'm starting the day after Thanksgiving! Do you want to be my training partner via the Internet? We could motivate each other! God knows, I could use someone to swat my butt in gear! Hey, that could be sexy, too! Drop me a line to let me know!

Pulsbeat said...

It may be difficult --- but it is very worth it. And besides most gyms provide lots of "eye" exercise too :-)

I'm 58.
I blew my right knee out this past March 18 --- I wish I could say it was something exciting but my right foot slipped off a stationary cycle pedal and jammed hard into the floor and I heard POP! I was lucky to get the orthroscopy a week later.

With effort and a lot of help from my therapists, some great massage therapists and my trainer I am back squating, lunging, cycling and I might be running again by spring!

Health is #1!