Monday, November 15, 2010

Australia

One year ago this week my partner and I left Boston to spend 3 full weeks in Australia. I can't believe its been an entire year and to recapture the moment I'm going to re-post some of my favorite entries from the vacation. If you'd like to read all the posts you can link here.

Here is a little taste of some of the fun we had in Sydney last fall.



Safely arrived and loving Sydney
originally posted 21-Nov 2009

I landed in Sydney on Friday, November 20th fairly refreshed and none the worse for the wear thanks to flying business class on United Airlines. The flight was fantastic in part because of the cush-seating that converts into a narrow but cozy bed. I flew on the second level of the 747, which is only the second time in all my travels that I've had the opportunity.

The first two days in Sydney have been brilliant. The weather has been in the high 80s to mid 90s and I've used the time as sort of a scouting expedition to get the lay of the land. The only sign of jet lag was the fact that I was exhausted last night (Friday) and went to bed at 10:30 and then promptly woke up at 6:00am.

Today (Saturday), Sergio and I ventured out on an ambitious walk that brought us down to Darling Harbour, Sydney train station and Surry Hills. We had intended to go to Paddington but pooped out and will probably check it out upon our return to the city. However lunch at a cute coffee shop called Le Monde and a cold draft at the bar at The Clock Hotel definitely revived me. I have to admit that Surrey Hills was a highlight and a place I look forward to revisiting (perhaps even tonight for a night cap). The restaurants, bars and shops ooze a chic class that is sadly absent on Oxford Street (Sydney's gay district); near where I am currently staying.

Despite the lack of any personality in the CBD (where I am at the moment) my room at the Marriott overlooks Hyde Park which is a lush downtown park that is pretty to look out at. Tomorrow I'll be checking out of the Marriott and hopping on Virgin Blue to head north to the Port Douglas. I'm looking forward to the beach and visiting the Great Barrier Reef... That's all for now. I'll be writing more about the entire adventure down under but wanted to briefly document the stay since I have a terrible memory.

5 comments:

Thomas (Tom) Rimington said...

I hope it wasn't the drag queens you were admiring (although they were great) The guys all took my breath away... Next time we should travel together, my bio-pop is in tasmania!

SteveA said...

What a bunch of hotties!

Curious said...

Who knew Big Bird was gay and had a family too?

Peter said...

First you're a cute couple!

Loved those show parts too, I agree with Tom and SteveA, those are a bunch of hotties!

robertga99 said...

I am so jealous. I would love to go to Australia. You and your partner look really cute :)