Sunday, April 18, 2010

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I spent much of Friday adding content to Wikipedia from a handful of recent studies my firm had published. I'd never done this before - usually I'm the one looking something up on Wiki.  After a slow start trying to figure out how to accurately cite studies and make all the links work, it flowed pretty quickly.  All told I was able to help increase content in an area of study in medicine / healthcare that is quite hot but had suprisingly little published. (Here's a hint about the subject.)

The mar/comm geek in me really thought the entire exercise was pretty cool. It's another great way to build credibility, distribute findings from our reports and leverage new forms of media that were not previously available when I started my career in marketing.  It makes me wonder why I don't see more of our competitors doing this?
 
Wikipedia on Wikipedia
Wikipedia ( /ˌwɪkɪˈpiːdi.ə/ or /ˌwɪkiˈpiːdi.ə/ WIK-i-PEE-dee-ə) is a free, web-based, collaborative, multilingual encyclopedia project supported by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation. Its name is a portmanteau from wiki (a technology for creating collaborative websites, from the Hawaiian word wiki, meaning "quick") and encyclopedia (from ancient Greek meaning "the circle of arts and sciences").

No comments: