Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Back @ the gym

I turn 40 in a matter of days, but I think I might be in better shape now than I was when I first entered my 30s.  I started working out with my trainer, Stu, in February 2009 and this week I just re-signed for another 24 1-hour sessions. To paraphrase Brokeback Mountain, "I just can't quit Stu."  Ha... I doubt he would appreciate the reference but that isn't quite what I meant by it either.  I've noticed that without the commitment of meeting him twice a week I rarely get to the gym and even on those rare weeks that I do go the work outs are never as intense.

Tonight we started with core exercises to help me work off my mid-section (what I would give to drop one more waist size).  We then moved to Chest & Tricep followed by Back & Bicep exercises.  The entire routine flowed so easily - not the actual lifting mind you - just the progression of work outs.  When I'm on my own this is never the case and this is why I think Stu is worth every penny.

Today's work out was particularly gratifying because without realizing it I set some personal records with weights which if left on my own - I would have never tried. Using the cable machine, I was able to curl 150lbs and earlier in the routine while working my chest I was able to lift two 75lb dumbells for presses.  I have a feeling I'm going to be quite sore tomorrow.  Perhaps not as sore as all the Boston marathon runners, but sore all the same.  If you're working out or struggling to work out - shoot me an e-mail or drop a comment.  I do get inspiration from others and like to know I'm not the only one obsessing about this.

No comments: