Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sydney - Cairns - Melbourne - Yarra Valley

I first wrote about my trip to Australia back in late June in my entry, Australia or bust...  Back then I had not really given much thought to where I wanted to visit and what I wanted to do.  Sergio had been to Australia years before and knew he wanted to go back to the Great Barrier Reef so Sydney and the GBR were already presumed to be part of this trip.  However, after a handful of conversations last week we booked our flights inside Australia.  We've booked ourselves on Virgin Blue and will fly from Sydney to Cairns to Melbourne back to Sydney again. 

We plan to enjoy our first weekend in Sydney (we arrive on Friday, November 20) then leave for Cairns on Tuesday, November 24th. We're planning to spend a couple of days there relaxing beachside and snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef.  Later that week on Friday, November 27th we fly down to Melbourne. Our current plan is to spend the weekend in the city before packing up and heading to wine country - Yarra Valley.  I don't know much about the area, but if it is anything like Napa and Sonoma, I know we'll really enjoy ourselves.  We will end our trip back where we started by spending the last 5 nights in Sydney.  We've yet to book any hotels and I'm still a bit overwhelmed with trying to learn more about Yarra Valley (not to mention the logistics of how we get from Melbourne to wine country), but as work subsides we'll start to figure out all the details.  I can't help but get excited about the thought of the trip now that we are a mere 8-weeks away from heading to Australia.  The thought of not being anywhere near work and completely disengaged for 3-weeks seems impossible right now, but I'm sure I'll adjust to life away from the office like a fish to water.

No comments: