Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A bittersweet parting

It has been slightly more than a week since I gave my notice. Last week I spent much of my time talking to co-workers who wanted to hear about my new job and to wish me well. It was really an affirming week and made me feel very validated. This week I have spent most of my time transitioning processes and responsibilities to ensure that as problems, tasks, requests (etc) arise my staff is able to manage without me.

I did not anticipate the affect my resignation would have in the office and as a result there has been a lot of work (much more than usual). My notice seems to have forced managers to re-evaluate their priorities, and all week I have been reviewing or commenting on various processes / projects that will occur after my departure. I really don't mind and feel like I have excelled under the increasing pressure.

I have very much appreciated the kind words that my manager and senior staff have shared about my tenure at the firm and the way I have handled myself since resigning. It has truly been a bittersweet week. However, their attention has made me realize how hard I will have to work at my new job to earn the same level of respect I currently enjoy.

No comments: