Thursday, February 14, 2008

New restaurant on the block - banq

Another restaurant just opened on Washington Street in the South End's trendy SOWA District; making it the 4th restaurant to open in a two block radius in the past 6-9 months.

The restaurant's playful name, banq, is no doubt in deference to the building's original tenant the Penny Savings Bank which first opened their doors in 1917. After years of neglect, the building was remodeled and expanded in 2007 to accomodate two commercial spaces (of which banq is one) and 20+ condominiums.

This part of the South End has seen the greatest change in recent years and the location combined with the beautiful architecture of the building made this an obvious target for developers. I have yet to go and try out the place but I'm excited to check it out. Experience has taught me to hold off and wait a few months to ensure the kitchen and wait staff are in sync before I go and try my first meal, but I might check out the bar which looks very appealing just to see what the place is like.

No comments: