Saturday, June 5, 2010

A visit to the Boston Public Library

Earlier this year a couple of branches of the Boston Public Library (BPL) were forced to close and it made me realize that with the exception of random visits with my nephews, I had not taken out a book in several years.  I'm sure this is partly due to laziness (ordering books online is so much easier) and in part because I think that the way libraries are organized needs to be seriously reconsidered - but that is the topic for another blog entry.

The point I'm trying to make is the library closings made me realize if you don't support something you can not expect it to remain relevant. The library - in particular the BPL - is a beautiful place.  I'm loving the fact that I can easily return these books rather than shuffle them from closet to cabinet drawer once they've been read as I normally do with books I've purchased.  Additionally, the environentalist in me likes the library... does that ring true for anyone else?

The next time you get the urge to log on to Amazon or drop by a national chain - think about how supporting your local library not only saves you a bit of money but also sends a message that this public resource brings value and enriches your community.

No comments: