Saturday, March 13, 2010

Gay fiction

I just finished reading two gay-themed stories which I really enjoyed, and for those few of us out there who like reading gay literature sometimes the options can be quite slim so I wanted to give an online 'shout-out'.   The first is a touching story about two men who grow up in Melbourne, Australia in the mid-70s and their life together.  It is well written and very touching; normally I shy away from stories that take place during the AIDS epidemic - I just find it too sad, but this really touched my heart.  Title: Holding the Man by Timothy Conigrave, 286 pages, Published by Penguin Books, ISBN: 978-0-14-320282.

The second book takes place a decade later (1983 to be exact) in New Jersey and is about a high school senior's plans to attend Julliard to become a famous actor.  The story is entertaining to say the least and the author's wit and humor had me unexpectedly laughing out loud at times.  Title: How I Paid for College: A tale of sex, theft, friendship and musical theatre by Marc Acito, 276 pages, ISBN: 978-1-4088-0221-2.

I've read many gay-themed books (fiction and non-fiction), but if you would like to comment on a book of particular interest or a favorite please share with me as I'm always looking for another book and appreciate personal recommendations.

No comments: