Monday, November 23, 2009

Relaxing in Port Douglas, Australia

I am now relaxing in Port Douglas, Australia after flying up from Sydney on Sunday and then driving 45 minutes north from Cairns.  Port Douglas is a cute little touristy town of 3,000 that caters mostly to Australians, but accents from around the world seem to blend in and many workers here seem to be transplants from Europe.  We have not heard many US accents, although today I met a Dartmouth M.B.A. student who is taking two months to see Australia and New Zealand before starting work for Deliotte in Boston.  As it turns out she will be living a couple of blocks from me in the South End.

The weather is beatiful if not downright hot and humid, but I'm not complaining one bit.  Port Douglas is fairly far north in the state of Queensland putting us close to the equator I believe.  Most of the time today was spent visiting a wildlife sanctuary where I watched Sergio hold a koala and feed kangaroos (photos will follow when I return to the States).  Later this week we plan on snorkeling and Sergio might scuba.  I don't expect to do much more than that until I leave for Melbourne on Friday afternoon.  The resort, Peppers Beach Club, is very nice and only a 5 minute walk into the center.  Similar to Provincetown, Port Douglas is essentially a one street beach town with shops lined up an down either side.  Coverage is quite spotty up here and I've not been able to post any tweets on my twitter account, but I have already found my favorite coffee shop (and there are a few to choose from here).  The shop is called re:hab and in addition to coffee and sweets they have about a dozen gelati flavors (and wireless to boot).  If I'm not snorkeling or lounging poolside I'll likely come here for some refreshments and to stay out of the sun which has been blistering hot of late (90 - 100+ degrees).

2 comments:

margie said...

Love reading about your exciting trip. I am living vicariously through you two !!!! can you tell?

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous. I need a vacation. Sounds like you are having an amazing time! Miss you both lots. See you when you get back. Have a great Thanksgiving. Love Txxx