Tuesday, November 10, 2009

1929: The great crash

The Baker Library at HBS has a very interesting exhibit which I was able to view this past Saturday.  Focusing on the unique historical materials in the HBS archives the exhibit tries to throw light on the role regional exhanges in the stock market played in the crash of 1929 and the regulation of the securities industry that resulted in the New Deal. The exhibit is entitled, "Bubbles, Panics and Crashes" of particular interest were the cartoons HBS library has from their archives showing a satyrical take on one of the worst banking crashes in our history.

I thought I would share a couple of cartoons which are on display that I liked. You will see some interesting paralells from the great crash and I'm sure you will probably ask yourself the question I did when I was there, "Why do we allow this to continue?"  Although it may sound like a loaded political question, it is really much more sincere.  Even though many might find history boring - we ignore it at our own peril.




No comments: