Monday, March 9, 2009

Meghan McCain Disses Ann Coulter on the Daily Beast

Meghan McCain made news today on The Daily Beast, when she said of Ann Coulter that she appeals "to the most extreme members of the Republican Party..." and is "less and less relevant to the party". As a lifelong Democrat, I'm more accustomed to watching acrimony and public bickering in my party. One thing I've often envied about Republicans is how lockstep they can be - so candid speech like this leaves me a bit speechless.

Meghan McCain goes on to say," I have been a Republican for less than a year. Still, even after losing the election, I find myself more drawn to GOP ideals and wanting to fight for the party’s resurgence. And if figureheads like Ann Coulter are turning me off, then they are definitely turning off other members of my generation as well."

To that bit I say, "AMEN". I would love to see a more open Republican Party that is willing to engage in thoughtful discourse. It is refreshing (and a bit surprising) to read Meaghan's public criticisms of Ann Coulter who has been the unofficial pin-up girl and mastubatory fantasy of every far right conservative from Dick Cheyney and Donald Rumsfeld to the current 'leader' of the Republican Party, Rush Limbaugh.

No comments: