Saturday, February 7, 2009

Shepard Fairey exhibit at the ICA

Fairey's works have come to the Institute of Contemprary Art (ICA), and I am looking forward to visiting the museum's West Gallery to see the exhibit entitled, "Supply and Demand".

The ICA website refers to, Shepard Fairey as "one of the most influential street artists of our time". However, I like him because of his use of bold colors and iconic imagery. I remember the first time I saw his Obey poster and more recently his Obama Hope image, which was plastered through out Boston and catapulted Fairey's name into the general public. However, you need not trust my untrained eye or juvenile descriptions of his work, The Boston Globe review of the exhibit is filled with praise. You can read the full review here.

I will admit that I prefer going to Boston's museums in the colder months because it is a way to forget about the miserable weather and get out of the house. If you've never been to the ICA or if it has been awhile since your last visit - check out this exhibit and let me know what you think. The exhibit opened last week and will run through mid-August.

No comments: