Monday, April 28, 2008

Wright Wrong? Who cares?

Reverend Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama's former minister, spoke to the National Press Club in Washington D.C. today. You can read the full transcript here or you can watch the NBC video here.

His comments were hardly humble and his tone anything but conciliatory. For his part, Jeremiah Wright answered questions about some of his more inflamatory sermons, but I doubt that his explanations will matter to most in the public. I found some of his responses humorous and others confusing but Rev. Wright's comments are not of much interest to me. I recognize that I am in the distinct minority (yet again) and am left scratching my head wondering why people would change their support for Obama because of his past association with the Reverend. Obama's views with regards to our foreign policy, monetary policy, economy, healthcare, energy independence, etc... have not changed in light of the Rev. Wright's words so why would I not support him if I agree with those views (views which I see as important to my life and those of my neighbors)?

Democratic Party supporters have a right to be concerned if Obama becomes consumed by the controversy or if Party supporters feel that he could not mount a successful general election campaign because of the commercials Republican 501(c)3 organizations are certain to run against him. However, I am hopeful that this situation allows Obama to rise like the mythological Phoenix and prove himself to those who say he is 'untested'. If his campaign is de-railed by the words of Rev. Wright then that would be a shame in my mind, but I would gladly support Mrs. Hillary Rodham Clinton. She is not my first choice but I think she would represent the Party well in a general election and prove to be a formidable opponent.

Time will tell how this all plays out and I for one can hardly wait. As a self-proclaimed political junkie the Primary Season has been one for the record books.

No comments: