Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Back in the swing of things

I have not commented much on my gym routine since early May. At that point I was feeling very confident and was writing to document my progress, but a few weeks later (over Memorial Day weekend) I came down with meningitis and it took me a few weeks before I was able to recover sufficiently to go back to the gym. Unfortunately, I could not pick up from where I left off and it took me awhile before my work out could return to the same level of intensity as before. A couple of weeks ago, I felt like I had finally returned to where I had been before getting ill.

My routines at the gym have progressed and now my trainer has me focusing approximately 1+ hour on one muscle group at a time. I have not been as faithful when it has come to going to the gym on my off-days (when I'm meant to work out on my own). However, I recently asked Stu to create a cardio workout for me to help build endurance (surprisingly, lifting weights can leave me out of breath gasping for air). I feel like if I can build my cardio I'll be better able to manage the crazy work outs he creates for me.

I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to add this to my gym routine since I don't think it is likely I'll be getting there (with the exception of my standing appointment with Stu on Wednesday) until the weekend, but I'll try to comment and let you know if it was too easy or left me gasping for air.

Suggested Cardio Routine

Warm up at 4.5 for 5 minutes
Run at level 6 for 15 sec.
Jog at level 5 for 25 sec.
Run at level 8 for 15 sec.
Jog at level 6 for 25 sec.
Cool down for 3 minutes at 4.5
Run at level 9 for 15 sec.
Jog at level 7 for 20 sec.
Run at level 10 for 10 sec.
Jog at level 8 for 15 sec.
Cool down at level 5 for 3 min

Make sure the incline of the treadmill is at 4-6 and adjust accordingly.

No comments: