Friday, May 16, 2008

Be all that you can be

I am a fairly organized individual and at work I have always been able to manage my time very effectively, but when it comes to applying that same level of discipline in my personal life I feel like I fail miserably.

I am pretty good about making sure that my house is tidy and errands are done, but anything beyond clearing clutter, doing the wash and filling my refrigerator seems to be beyond me; despite having loads of spare time and virtually no responsibilities (as compared to my parents at my age).

Lately I've been frustrated by my on-again / off-again commitment with the gym and my complete failure to set aside time to study Portuguese. Both activities are important goals that I have repeatedly set for myself. I know if these were activities that were core to my job I would have a six pack and be bilingual but applying that same discipline in my personal life is a real challenge for me. I also realize that these struggles are not unique to me but it does not make me feel better or help motivate me to know that there is a country of underachievers and excuse makers. I would love to have someone invent a motivational pill that would help me "be all that I can be" to borrow a slogan from the U.S. military.

No comments: