Sunday, January 27, 2008

2008 Australian Open

This afternoon I watched the 2008 Men's Australian Open Championship between Jo Wilfried Tsonga and Novak Djokovic. This year with no Americans in the draw going into the semifinals, I found myself cheering for a number of underdogs. Earlier this week I was stunned to see Tsonga absolutely dismantle Nadal and Djokovic beat the best tennis player in the world, Federer.

Today's championship match was incredible. Watching them play definitely helped get the blood flowing again and despite my previous entry bemoaning my loss of passion because of the winter chill, at least for today the cold had no affect. Several times I found myself shouting outloud at the shots / plays both men made. The real winner of this championship match was the fans. These two men represent some of the best tennis has to offer. No disrespect to the ladies who played two days earlier and also had a hard fought championship, but I was blown away by the sheer power and fortitude of these two men who played such an intense 4-set match. Bravo!

No comments: