Sunday, August 17, 2008

Boston Restaurant Week

As a self-proclaimed foodie and dining out junkie, I like the fact that twice a year Boston holds Restaurant Week to encourage people to come into town and sample food at restaurants. Over the years, this event has increased in popularity with more restaurants participating. Officially, the summer version of restaurant week runs from August 10 - 22nd but some of the places I have dined at have indicated that they will keep their prixe-fix menus through the holiday weekend. Participating restaurants offer the public a three course meal (starter, main dish and dessert) for $33.08. This week I have visited three participating restaurants (not counting the friends and family dinner I had at the pre-opening of SouthEnd Buttery).

The most satisfying experience thus far was tonight dining outside on Rocca's semi-private patio, which is the most beautiful in all the South End. I started with a beet salad complete with fresh herbs and a riccota cheese and yogurt mix on the side that still makes me smack my lips thinking about it, followed by a fillet of blue fish wrapped in grape leaves and served atop freshly steamed veggies. I finished the meal with their almond bark dessert which comes with a bowl of warm dark chocolate you can dip the cookies into... Not a bad deal for the money. The beautiful weather and gorgeous patio for dining under the stars came at no additional cost. All things considered, the meal has capped off a delectable week of dining and a very relaxing weekend with my partner. Tonight's dining experience makes me only wish that New England could enjoy beautiful nights like this all year long.

No comments: