Thursday, January 17, 2008

I just returned from the Boston Opera House where I saw the musical, Spamalot. Last year I tried to buy tickets to see the show when it first came to Boston, but I was unsuccessful so I was thrilled when my friend Joao asked me to join him. The musical parallel's the Monty Python movie which inspired the Broadway show but it does not require one to have seen it to understand or appreciate it.

My favorite scenes from the movie include the encounter with the French Knight who threatens King Arthur that he will "fart in his general direction" and the fight with the Black Knight who claims he is only suffering from a "flesh wound" after both his arms have been chopped off. These scenes were included in Spamalot and I thought they were even funnier thanks to the music and dancing that accompanied each number. There were also several scenes which were not a part of the original movie that I did not expect and thought were hilarious. One of my favorites was the musical number called "The Song That Goes Like This."

Adding to the overall appeal of the evening was the fact that two distractingly handsome young guys in their mid-20s sat next to me. From the way they laughed and cheered, I think they enjoyed the show even more than I did. Also a pleasant surprise was the fact that my cousin Paul happened to be sitting right in front of me. Before the show started I was chatting to my friend about the young guys to my left when my cousin turned around and said, "I thought I recognized your voice." With such great company surrounding me I knew the evening would be fun.

I have to extend a personal thanks to Joao for getting the tickets and inviting me. I had an absolute blast.

No comments: