Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Pride

Boston Pride week culminated today with the annnual parade and block party. In my opinion the block party is the best part of the week long celebration. Each year I find the parade to be very, very boring. The few floats that are in the parade lack color and flair. Boston's pride parade is more about what churches and politicians are marching. Normally this makes it seem more like a protest than a parade but this week's news of Governor Deval Patrick's daughter coming out in Bay Windows article - "With Love and Pride" made this year's parade different.

Recently I was told that Gov. Patrick made history last year when he became the first sitting Governor of any state to march in a Pride Parade. This year his wife and daughter joined him. I know there are many who are not impressed by Deval Patrick, but I am not one of them. I thoroughly respect Patrick's commitment to supporting equality and not compromising in the face of adversity whether it is championing the right for all to marry or now showing that Governor or not - he stands by his lesbian daughter. Bravo Deval - you have my vote if you decide to run for re-election.
Pictures are courtesy of www.bostonist.com

No comments: